Monday, February 9, 2015

(Not Just) An American Abroad

When it comes to studying abroad, I have strengths and weaknesses. I scored fairly high on the self-audit in all three topics: independence, openness, and flexibility. I do honestly feel independent when it comes to studying abroad. I have no problem with studying abroad and I have no problem with asking others for help. I am open to things such as new foods and learning a new language. I also am flexible in working with spontaneous situations and not having high, non-achievable goals about studying abroad.

As for the cultural context, though, I was surprised by my scores. I was a 3 on the Low Context Score. According to the Context of Cultures, my relationships begin and end quickly, context is less important than message to me, privacy is important to me, time is a commodity to be spent or saved, and reality is fragmented and compartmentalized.

With all this information, I believe that I can get the most out of my travel abroad experience. I have no doubt that I will be fully submerged in the Czech culture as opposed to being homesick, stuck in my room and missing out. I believe that my ability to relate to others will help me make connections with new people. I will struggle with my schedule being interrupted with a new flow in a new time zone, but I don't think it's anything I can't handle.

I think the best strategy to learn the most I can about Czech culture is to experience the most that I can, which means going around the country instead of staying in my room as well as learning a lot before I go so I might use that knowledge to relate to Czech people.

As for being an American Abroad, I am hoping that I will educate others on the idea that we're not all over weight hamburger eaters (I'm even a vegetarian). I plan on showing that America is a large country with multiple identities. While we share a patriotic idealism, we differentiate ourselves by region and state. I am a Southerner, a Tennessean, and a Chattanoogan. I hope the Czech people will learn as much about me as I learn about them. Perhaps once going there, I'll learn that they are not just Czech any more than I am just American.

No comments:

Post a Comment