Friday, February 20, 2015

FIrst long term abroad

By doing the cultural-context inventory I discovered I am well-rounded person. I can adapt well in many situations. That being said I am not to concerned about being immersed in a whole new culture and environment. Besides the language barrier and not being able to communicate with everyone I am confident this will not be a big issue. My strategy for this problem is to make friends with a bilingual native. This strategy was told to me by an experience traveler who recommends finding locals to have the best experience possible. If I can not find native friends I plan to explore things on my own and learn as much about their social life as possible. I would not want to be offensive in my actions so I would like to know social norms. I also understand there will be preconceived notions about my upbringings but I believe those ideas will quickly be changed. Although I do carry traits aligned with American lifestyle they do not dictate my morals.


I plan to deepen my insight of my host country be learning how the society functions. Learning holidays and cultural norms. The only thing that may hinder my journey is me being uninterested to try new foods. My goal for the trip is to exchange ideologies with their culture and also to be more understanding of people with a different upbringing than me. Skills I have yet to learn is to talk first instead of speaking before who ever I am speaking too. Overall I am not too concerned with my personality and my ability to travel abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment