Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Japan here I come

I am beyond excited to learn about the culture as I live there and get to experience it first hand. I would love to know about the culture norms and how they are different from the way we live in the U.S. I know when I first arrive I will view them with a stereotypical point of view, because I have never been to Japan before and I might have to adjust to the new environment. Though, this point of view is bound to change after I have lived in the culture for a few weeks and see that it is just what Americans believe life in Japan is like compared to what it is really like. While I am abroad I hope to gain a new perspective on the world, because there is more than just the American perspective. I want to look at the world with a new set of eyes that can not only judge a situation with one perspective, but with two so I can decide on the best outcome for that situation.

My main reason for wanting to travel abroad is for my academics, so that I can fulfill the requirements for my minor. Next year I am planing to take three different Japanese language courses to improve my reading, writing, and speaking in the language. I want to study history of the country, not just because we are not taught Japanese history here but also because of the new perspective. I feel if I study history between the U.S. and Japan it will challenge my understanding of it, because in the U.S. were tell our side of the story and ignore what the other country's reasons were. Also, i believe taking a sociology class will help me to learn this new perspective and strength it, while I am there. Though these reasons are an important part of my study abroad, they are not the only reasons for me to go.

Independence and communicating to different people are also a big part of my experience in a new country. I have been on vacations by myself before, but none of them were in a different country, which I think will play a big part in the cross-culture experience. Traveling by myself in New York was new to me and it helped me become a little more independent, but I did not have to worry about my phone not working or my credit card having problems, because I was still in my home country. These two examples are something I will have to ask for help with or be independent enough to solve them on my own when I am in Japan. I believe this will be good for me,because I am an adult, but I still have my parents help me when I am having difficulties. As for communicating with the people in Japan, I hope the skills I have learned here will prepare me to be surrounded by the language. While I am there I hope to be more confident speaking with the people, because I know I will make mistakes. However, this is part of the learning process, and it will only help me in the end. When I take language classes there I will study hard so I can practice what I learn outside of the class. With these two skills I hope to be able to travel a little be myself to fully prepare myself for my adult life.

As an American abroad I know I will feel a little out of place at first, but I will learn to adjust to my life. If traveling is something I really love I will be able to overcome this obstacles and feel more confident about who I am. So lets take a crack at this and give it all you've got!!

No comments:

Post a Comment