Tuesday, February 3, 2015

     Whether we realize it or not, culture is a huge part of who we are. It affects our everyday lives and impacts the decisions we make. I have never seen a culture that is drastically different from American culture, and I would love to be able to experience it firsthand. Seeing other cultures and taking part in their traditions helps people gain new perspective and respect people who are different from what they are immersed in as a part of their daily lives.
     The biggest reason for going to France is obviously to learn French. I am so excited to finally get started on it! The only French class I have ever had was about 4 years ago, but I had to take Latin as a foreign language instead after switching schools. French is such a beautiful language, and I have always wanted to learn how to speak it fluently. Hopefully I will be able to speak it in at least a semi-passable level by the time I finish my time abroad.
     I am most excited to see as much of Europe as I possibly can during the journey. Although I can only travel so far, I would like to visit Paris, Germany, and maybe even northern Italy. It might be a bit overwhelming because of how many things there are to see and do. It will also be a little crazy that the countries are so close together that it will be like going to a different state except things can be drastically different from country to country. I want to see it all!
     While I am in Europe, I would like to talk to people that live there to see where I should travel next. I will always want travel to be a huge part of my life, and I would like to start planning that out now. The program only lasts six weeks, so it would be impossible to do everything.
      In some ways, the trip still does not feel real yet. It is a little bit hard to wrap my head around it. Hopefully that will change once I start solidifying plans, get accepted into the program, and start applying for scholarships. Honestly, I am not apprehensive about it at all, just extremely excited. This will be an experience that I will remember the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment