Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Blog 4: Intercultural Competency

To become a regular community member and "live like a local", you have to make an effort to understand the cultural norms. However, as much as you want to live like a local, you have to realize it will take some time to adjust at first. Once you get the hang of things, you might then be able to live like a local by taking on similar lifestyle habits and actions.

To first get involved on campus at TIU I want to be active in the Japanese language courses and do my best to also help others with English (even though I'm not too great at it sometimes). But, I also want to join the Photography club even though it is a less academic interest.

I want to also make an attempt to attend all cultural events held in the community, and to spend time with my local host family in the process. Basically, to live like a local, I think I should participate in most of the normal everything days they do.

While I know it will be a different experience and that I will definitely get stressed out at some, I think I will be able to handle with my normal coping methods. Typically, whenever I'm feeling down I like to take time alone and either read or watch some random tv series. Another less healthy coping mechanism I have for stress is going shopping. And, since I'll pretty much be in Tokyo the whole time, I think this will be easily accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment