Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Vivere come un locale - Bella Style!

To avoid negative symptoms from adapting to a new culture, I feel that having an awareness and appreciation of this opportunity is key to recognizing its worth and using what time I have to my fullest potential.
Since I have already fulfilled my major and core curriculum, there’s a freedom to pursue new interests and take classes all about Italy’s history and culture.  Since they don’t offer hands-on art classes in the international curriculum (aka, in English), I plan on asking about sitting in on life-drawing sessions and using the studios for independent work. Surely, there will be a fine arts circle to hit it off with. In the unlikely case that there isn't one (no art club at a college in Milan = *gasps* inconceivable!), then ol' beller (yours truly) will have to be the originator of an epic clique of content creators!! 
My idea of living like a local is having a sense of familiarity and acquaintances within your daily routine. While I aim to assimilate to a level of comfort with my surroundings, my position as an international student gives me the liberty to seize each day with adventure.  
Not finding friends should rarely be a problem if you’re actively searching for them. There’s the obvious chance of bonding with your peers and roommates but, if there’s still no success, then other prospects include involvement in community clubs/events (offers found in newspaper forums, online groups, etc.) and public hangouts (clubs, cafes, attractions, etc.). Common interests are bound to form connections, and it doesn’t hurt to dose out a little charisma and enthusiasm.
My biggest fear about hindering the experience is fear itself; letting anxiety psych myself out into not being involved for fear of failure, ridicule, etc. Overthinking tends to overwhelm which results in restricting myself to complacency.

Tough days are inevitable; so I can either partake in a comfort activity, recharge with some camaraderie shenanigans, or just aimlessly explore frickin' MILAN!  

No comments:

Post a Comment