Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Vocation

Going for an internship abroad is quite the extra way to meet my vocational goal. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve wanted to be a doctor or at the very least working within the medical field. Now that I’ve gotten further in my major, I have begun to consider the possibility of pursuing a career in global health or in medical research.

In fact, one of the main goals that I set up for myself for my internship is to come back with a global perspective on health. What better way to do that than with an internationally renowned medical school? While New Zealand isn’t completely different in terms of available health care, it does differ in that their system of healthcare is a universal healthcare system. My internship is largely involvement in medical research by studying the plasma RNA signals of … as a method of detection of cancer. However, I will be able to interact with patients – complete strangers, no less – and practice my bedside manner.


In addition to this, I previously mentioned seeking volunteering opportunities abroad. The best way to organize this would be through my internship advisor or even through ISA, which I haven’t initiated yet but plan to. It is likely that any volunteering opportunities I find will not be in healthcare, but I think anything I find would be important because it would be a chance to work on my people skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment