Friday, May 5, 2017

Living like a local in Prague

As I prepare to live in Prague in the summer, I am looking for ways to immerse myself into the culture. I have been researching the culture of Prague and trying to understand the typical etiquette practiced by the local population. But one thing I plan to do is something that I have done before: get involved. Whenever I am in a new place, I try to find something in which I am interested. Recently, I decided to find ways to get involved on campus at Anglo-American University. Being that I am a writer and assistant editor for The Highland Echo, I looked up the campus publications. I have contacted the editor of Lennon Wall Magazine and plan on contributing to the publications website this summer. I have also reached out to campus organizations that focus on media studies.

Beyond getting involved on campus, I, and others going to Prague through CEA, are looking into experiences that would place into direct contact with Czech citizens who were born and raised in the culture. Going on trips outside the city and getting involved in the community are in the plans. Also, finding ways to keep up with the routines already established in our home cultures. Trying to not live like a tourist involves acting "normal." Finding some normalcy in a host culture is important. While attempting to integrate new experiences, I will also try to find some sort of a routine to adhere to that mimics the one I have at home. I understand that I will also be fighting some culture shock, so a routine will help lessen some of the anxiety of living in a new place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment