Tuesday, March 14, 2017

An American Abroad

New Culture or First Long-term Experience Abroad

Using the Self Audit, Culture Strategies Survey and Cultural-Context Inventory as your guide, what are some of the strengths (or strategies) that you personally bring to the table when it comes to learning about and adapting to a new culture? What challenges are you going to face, and are there strategies that you think will work well for you to learn more in depth about the cultural traits of your host country?  What aspects of your identity or of “being an American (or your own culture if not American)” will you bring and educate others about?

I am one step closer to being a student abroad, and I am absolutely terrified. 
This past week, I've watched multiple videos all about Wroclaw, Poland. I've watched the market square set up for an average day, and I've listened to locals talk about Wroclaw University. 
And I'm still absolutely terrified.
After taking the multiple surveys given to us, I've come to realize that I have no reason to be this scared. I'm a completely open person, always engaging in conversations and activities. I love meeting new people and introducing them into my life. 
Oh, right. The fact that I'm totally anxiety ridden and have a hard time putting my first foot forward. That will get me.
Being an American, we are seen as over talkative and very political. I am neither of these things, and I haven't decided if that is a good or bad thing. I want it to be good, so I can break the "American Dream" idea to anyone that meets me. I've come to the conclusion that I will fit in better in Poland than I do in America.
I'm reading into the Polish history and culture, and I feel content. I have this idea that I'm going to seamlessly slip into this culture and live in it easier than I do in America. Of course, I can't expect that to happen right off the bat. I'm going to have to convert myself to fit in - and I'm excited for that challenge. The prospect of meeting friends from a different country and getting along with them - that makes it all worthwhile. 
Of course, I have to talk about eating. I've watched Anthony Bourdain and he is my own personal hero. I will be thinking of him as I bite into sausage and try every type of food that is put on a plate before me. (No, I'm not just going to Poland for the food, even if that's what it sounds like. Nope.)
All in all, I think it will go pretty smoothly. I'm the type of person that will make friends with anyone willing, so I'm excited to see who wants to meet a non-traditional American in Poland and possibly adopt me. 


Żegnajcie przyjaciele

No comments:

Post a Comment