Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blog 2: An American Abroad

Since I’m a third-culture kid and a religious minority, I think I do a good job of being open to different cultures. Japanese culture is something I’ve informally studied ever since I was a child, and recently I’ve been trying to watch as many videos as I can to learn quirks about Japanese culture or some culture shock experiences other foreigners have faced while in Japan. However, no amount of studying or researching will truly prepare me for what I’m going to experience while I’m abroad.

I’m a very direct person, but Japanese people come from a high-context culture so they tend to talk in circles or beat around the bush a lot. That is something I’m going to struggle with while in Japan, but it won’t be that bad since I know to expect it already. Considering how introverted I am, I’m actually not sure how straightforward I will be since I’ll be in a country where most people don’t speak English, and I’m shy when it comes to starting conversations with native Japanese speakers. Again, my experience as a third-culture kid helps me when it comes to understanding cultural differences.


I want to bring all aspects of my identity…but I’m not sure which ones I’ll be educating people about. I guess it will be whatever comes up in conversation! I’m not your stereotypical American, so Japanese people might be a bit surprised when they meet me!

Honestly, I’m not worried so much about being faced with a new culture more than I am with the fact that I won’t be in an English-speaking country or the fact that it will be monsoon season the entire time I’m in Japan (sighs). πŸ˜“
Until next time! γΎγŸγ­! πŸ‘‹

No comments:

Post a Comment