Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blog 2-Aryne Feldman


With deepening my understanding regarding the Italian culture (I am going to Rome, Italy this summer to study abroad), I plan on getting a grasp of things before traveling and studying over there.  As of right now, for instance, I am practicing the language.  I have been learning Italian slowly, but every night I learn a few phrases and review them for that week.  Understanding the language will show locals that I am, at least, trying to understand and respect part of their cultural.  Although linguistics might not seem like a big deal, to me if I know someone who doesn’t speak the same language but they were trying, it still shows they care.  With that being said, I feel as if is also important to respect the cultural overall, such as social norms and manners.  How does one show respect? First thing, is to actually understand.  Understanding is the first step in taking to respecting a culture.  We are so accustomed to our social norms and the way we present ourselves, or talk where we might be ignorant to the fact that our way of doing things is not the only way.  Knowing what is the social norm when going to restaurants, hotels, stores, or maybe interacting with professors, is a key aspect in going to another country because a sign of respect of of keen importance.  I want to learn the large differences between our culture and the Italian culture.  With this, talking to locals about their culture and talking about the differences is a great way to understand my own and their culture.  With conversations among people with different cultures, you get experience and first hand learning just by us opening our mouths! I have yet to learn everything about the culture, such as where to go and how to travel.  Although I have been to several countries, I always know about them before I go.  Therefore, this will be a great learning experience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment