Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blog #2: An American Abroad

It's hard for me to take a firm stance because I am realizing how very different from the "average" American I am. I found myself really paying attention to how I responded to certain stances on the self audit and cultural context inventory and in the article about American values and assumptions. While time is very much of the essence for me and I value my own identity, I didn't see myself fitting into the other categories that fit under what is means to be an American. So, I suppose a challenge for me while I'm studying abroad is how do I represent a culture that I feel I am not a true part of, nor share many of the same values?

Personally, when I'm traveling, I am more interested in learning about the culture of the place in which I am located, rather than holding onto my own "culture" and going by its standards. I don't plan on going to Japan and Korea exclaiming, "Hello! I am American. The American way is the best way!" It is with this mindset that I plan on being able to handle the newness of Japan and the re-acquaintance with Korea. My curiosity and love for learning about cultures will be my weapon in dealing with my fear of the unfamiliar. If I'm ever feeling desperately homesick, I'll just quote Pocahontas and say, "What's around the river bend?"

Another way I plan on fighting my anxiety and learning about the culture is by making new friends. I figure this will be effective in multiple ways. For one, it will help me not feel lonely in a new environment, and for two, it helps with my immersion into the culture. What better way to learn about the people than through the people?

The very first challenge I can think of is the language barrier. I speak no Japanese and, while not fluent, I am more comfortable with the Korean language. But, hopefully, with friends and my immersion plan that will be fixed very quickly.

I am still trying to figure out how I will answer any questions I may be asked regarding my American nationality as I am still trying to figure that out. The best answer I can give is just to explain my perspective on something as an American and share the reasons for things we do as Americans for those who are curious. I'm sure that will be a learning experience all on its own independent of the school environment. It might be a hard lesson, but it's one that I think is worth learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment