Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Ol' Beller : An American Abroad - Blog 2


Aspects of my identity (likely acquired from the "American way") I hope to bring to Italy are my open mind and freedom of expression.

A worry of mine was the fact that I naturally speak as fast as a hummingbird’s heartbeat. We’re talkin’ so fast that native English speakers sometimes struggle to keep up. While I can bear in mind this trait and try to slow down, it can be hard to change. In class, I learned that my personality leans more towards being high-context, which I find fitting and may be able to use to my advantage. Although I often stray off topic, I tend to be observant of body language and vibes during interactions. This awareness usually helps the flow of social connections.

Reading up on common Italian personality traits, some sources say that they are super sociable and sometimes keep chatting with people who know zero Italian. (Relatable, I enjoy a good bonding session too. Facciamo pace!) I underestimated how much I enjoy spontaneous adventures and new people, and had convinced myself that those were the biggest obstacles I’d face.  

Still, I’ve come to realize challenges that remain after the context inventory made me consider how much one’s background plays into conversation. Despite where I am, I always take into consideration others’ differing backgrounds/perspective when meeting people. However, I rely on humor for the majority of my interactions, and my eccentricity and outlandishness may translate as offensive or inappropriate. This can hopefully be remedied and prevented through cultural research. Advice that I’m thinking of taking is to befriend an Italian before my trip and learn through them. (Maybe a pen-pal, or anyone interested on social media.)

No comments:

Post a Comment