Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Brittney's Gonna Be An American Abroad!!


In terms of strengths, I am very open-minded. I love trying new things and I’m not picky. I’m excited to experience “top of the iceberg” of Japan. That said, I not very flexible. I usually go with the flow, but doing so in another culture seems difficult. Abroad I’ll probably be the type who likes to know what’s happening and have a full understanding. However, I am already preparing myself for not always having full understanding while abroad. So, that weakness shouldn’t hinder me much. The “bottom of the iceberg” is where I will struggle the most. For example: higher context language, gift giving, eating etiquette. A good pre-departure strategy that I’m currently using is to inform myself of Japan’s social and cultural differences. No matter what challenges I face, I'm going to let my excitement and determination for success get me through. For learning more in depth about Japan, I think it’s important to talk to Japanese students and just take in the experience. To keep the experience, I should write in a journal and note all the things I’ve learned as well as have I felt during that experience. This will help me remember and reflect on my study abroad. I’m not sure when it comes to the aspects of my identity. I know I’ll try to remain myself, but it could be an issue if I accidentally offend people or seem weird. I’ll do my best educate others about my culture. Though, I’d have to educate myself first in subjects like politics and economics. Overall, I’ll try to a good representative of the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment