Wednesday, March 15, 2017

An American Abroad

My internship in Prague will be my first time abroad. In the beginning, I was nervous about how I would fit in while abroad, but as I have learned more about myself through the culture assignments, I realize that I will be fine. Based on my self-audit, I am more independent, open, and flexible than I thought. I am able to do things on my own and take charge in situations where that is needed. I have always been open to trying new things and having new experiences. As much as I like having a plan, I am able to improvise and be flexible based on the circumstances. When traveling abroad, there may be many unexpected happenings that you may not be completely prepared for, so there is a need to keep an open mind.

Even though I am open to different strategies when it comes to learning to exist in a different culture, the culture I am going to be working in is somewhat similar to my own. The Czech Republic is a low context culture. The culture has an appreciation for individualism much like the United States. It matches my personal cultural context and it somewhat resembles what I am used to. Although I would be comfortable working in a culture that is different from my own, the similarities will make the transition much easier. Being an American abroad in Prague is looking like it will be a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment