Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blog 2: An American Abroad



When it comes to interpreting the surveys, I guess I can say that I agree with many typical American views. Sure, I like the use of buzzwords like freedom and independence, but many others do as well. Simple words and statements do not work well when describing a person.

With the popular belief that Americans are super outgoing, I’m a bit worried about how I’m supposed to fit in. I like the idea of making new friends, but I’m terrible at approaching and conversing with strangers. With this challenge, I’m determined to be more open and be the one who first initiates things. I hope that people will try to understand me as an individual rather than comparing me to other Americans.

In Japan, the culture and language are very high-context so I know I must pay more attention and take care when speaking with others. When it comes to my identity, I’m a bit guarded. I am willing to answer any questions or discuss any beliefs, but I don’t want to always go around advertising my opinions. I just hope people will try to understand me as an individual rather than assuming an incorrect stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment