Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blog #2: An American Abroad


In January 2017, I had the amazing opportunity to go on a Travel Study trip to New Zealand. Before that trip I had traveled a lot domestically but barely any internationally. I learned so much on my travel study trip and I feel that I will be able to use most of the skills learned on my full semester abroad. I think I will have more challenges on my semester in Norway rather than when I went to New Zealand because I will be going alone rather than with a group of people I know. I know I have made friends quickly when coming to MC but after researching the culture of Norway, I know there are some social interaction differences. I feel that I will be happy just being in another country and will be able to entertain myself until I can pick up on the social cues around.
I feel that I am rather aware of my surroundings and pay close attention to situations I am in. I think this will benefit me while learning about and adapting to a new culture. I plan to use these strengths to adapt more quickly and more efficiently when integrating into Nord University. I also hope that this will help me develop my skills for cultural assimilation.

I would not consider myself the “typical” American due to my views. I experienced many stereotypes in New Zealand and I expect no less when going to Norway. I hope that during my time there I will be able to break some of the stereotypes held there and also show that everyone can have different views. I think US citizens get a bad reputation in many countries and I think it is partly the job of American travelers to make sure we don’t fall into that bad reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment