Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Prone to Panicking

Danielle Taylor
5.11.14

          I'm twenty-years-old and I still haven't been away from my own home for more than two weeks at a time.

          It sounds kind of silly to admit, but my mom has pretty much always been there for me, and not having her for four months seems like the biggest challenge I'll have to overcome.  I'm not going to be living thirty minutes away from her anymore, and it scares me to death.

          It's not like I'll never see her again, and I can always skype her to stomp out the homesickness, but one of the major ways I'm going to have to cope is by distracting myself.  I'm prone to panicking, and if I can't soften the blow of the oncoming onslaught of anxiety, I'm not going to survive my first week there, let alone four months.  By making new friends, focusing on furthering my comprehension of German language--just distracting myself with ways to fit into Germany, I think I can do it, though.

          I mean, I hope so, anyway.  It's not like I have a lot of options!

No comments:

Post a Comment