Monday, November 10, 2014

Taking’ Care of Business

"Oh you're going to spend a semester abroad?"

"Well that will be fun..."

This is the conversation that I hear in snarky tones, as many think that a semester abroad is just a play time. For me and many others, it is so much more than this!

As an international studies major with a minor in Spanish, my experience in Pamplona culturally and linguistically will most directly assist me in achieving vocational goals. It is my hope to be fluent, confident, and comfortable with Spanish as a language. This will give me an upper-hand as I look at graduate schools within my field as many have second language requirements. The practicality of learning how to live abroad will also be useful as the line of work that I aspire to get into will likely require this from me often.  I also hope that I will find a sociopolitical aspect of the Spanish culture to write my thesis on during my time in Pamplona. The greatest achievement will really be to see how well I do abroad and if international studies is really the best path for me.

They'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment