Wednesday, November 5, 2014

You feel more foreign in a country you hold a passport from than any other place in the world


1.     Doing research ahead of time to help me become more prepared for my journey and know what to expect
I have found it helpful to look up any question that I think about on a daily basis. I have become more comfortable for what to expect and how to react under certain situations
Example: I researched how should I greet my host mother, and I found out that I should call her Señora and should shake her hand and kiss her on the cheek.
2.     Keeping busy and exploring
During my orientation abroad my coordinator will give me a list of organizations I can choose from. I plan on being involved in at least one to stay busy, and hopefully make friends.
Traveling is a great way to relieve stress and loneliness. Although I enjoy going out with more people sometimes it is nice to just get away and make your own memories.
3.     Pictures and Video calls
My biggest adjustment is going to be not seeing my family, friends, and boyfriend whenever I want. I think bringing pictures really helps with being home sick because you can talk to your host family about them and show your new friends what life in Tennessee is like. Video chat is very important because I want my family and friends to see what my life in Chile is like. Talking with them will also help me relax and increase my motivation to get out and do things because I have to have great stories to tell them later.   

No comments:

Post a Comment