Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Vocation: noun- a strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation.

 Studying abroad in Cordoba, Argentina is the missing piece to my Maryville College Puzzle.  In order for me to successful graduate form MC, completion of a semester abroad is required. In doing so I will I be accomplishing my personal vocation of being bilingual, which in turn contributes to my International Business major.

 While abroad, I WILL make a conscious effort to minimize my English and maximize my Spanish. These 5 months in Argentina are a time in which I can finally prove my self, to both my family, and myself that I am no inept in Spanish. I feel that if by July 31,2015 ( my arrival date in USA) , I don’t speak Spanish fluently… I almost cannot come home. The immense pressure I am placing on my self will hopefully eliminate the possibility of that happened.

Recently I have been researching potential law school to attend after MC. Since I have a possible interest in international law, my study abroad experience and language fluency will only help my in my future endeavors.

Hopefully since all my classes will be in Spanish, will be able to learn the same way I did when I was 8 and in Spain: by ear. Since I have 1 Spanish class left to complete my minor, hopefully taking Espanol Advanzado while there will help me understand the local language and allow me to queue into the culture slowly. Also, since I am trying to substitute my HIS 334 credit here at MC with a history class abroad, I intend to gain the understanding I need about the culture to help me understand international relations better, and in particular South America.

When I return to America, I wish for my brain to be so full of Spanish, that Is all I want to be speak. I hope that my fluency will help me in my pursuit of a law degree, especially if I choose the international law route. I wish to finally be able to walk into my grandparent’s house and speak to not only them, but their many hispanically diverse friends and make my grandparents proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment