Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What am I doing?

About six months ago, I was sitting in Kirsten's office explaining to her that I have no idea what I want to do with my life after I graduate. I am pleased to announce that absolutely nothing has changed.

Okay, maybe (hopefully), I've made a bit of progress. It depends on the day, but I'm currently down to three career choices. The first is teaching English abroad, and I got a bit of experience teaching English when I helped out with the ESL program at my high school. It was extremely challenging but equally rewarding, and having the opportunity to teach it abroad would intensify both of those feelings. (Plus my friend is currently teaching English in Russia, and his adventures sound like so much fun...). Another is becoming a travel agent because it would allow me to continue travelling, which is something I love, while also sharing my love of travel with other people and helping them find a perfect vacation or adventure spot. Finally, I think I would like to work with students that are studying abroad or in the process of doing so because it would expose me to many different cultures, which would help me gain international perspective and would also help me create a love of travel in students wanting to study abroad (maybe one day I can steal Kirsten's job..? [doubtful]).

The classes I'm requesting to take at Södertörn are a mix of ones required for my major, international studies, and focused on tourism and one focused on learning the English language and how to apply it in a classroom setting (because why not?). I'm hoping that by taking this variety of classes, I'll be pointed in a more specific direction for my career. Additionally, I plan on asking my advisor in Sweden if she knows of any opportunities for me to volunteer to help teach children English in the area or where I could look to find these kinds of opportunities.

Overall, I think that this year abroad will help me decide what I truly love, and when I decide what I truly love, I'll be able to decide what I want to do for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment