Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Vocational

Learning French and becoming a doctor do not seem to be related on the surface. However, I plan on achieving both of these. I think that learning a new language, especially French, will be applicable in numerous ways to my future medical career.

France is also a leader in medical research like the United States. Many prominent medical journals are written in French. Knowing French would help me read these journals and learn new research without a language barrier holding me back.

Also, knowing about French culture as well as the language could help me as a doctor to relate to people who speak French. Connecting with patients is very important and language barriers can make this difficult.

While I am in France, I plan on seeking out a networking opportunity with a medical organization. Doctors Without Borders is an organization that focuses on providing medical care to those who need it most without limitations of state lines or national borders.


Doctors Without Borders is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. Geneva is only a few hours away by train from Chambery, France. So, I plan on visiting the organization. I would like to speak with an English-speaking representative so that I can learn more about this organization that I hope to work closely with in my future career. This would be a valuable opportunity, and I can’t wait to visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment