Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Adventure in Dubai

The Middle East has more to offer than what seems at first glance.  It is especially good for someone like me who loves nature as well as big cities.  Where I'll be staying, in Muscat, Oman,  is very close to high desert mountains, beautiful mountain oases called wadis, and other rural surroundings.  However, Muscat isn't a "big" city, but Dubai is, and it is very close.  Since I will be studying in Muscat, I will have easy access to all of the outdoorsy stuff I like to do like hiking, swimming, and camping.  So, it makes perfect sense to get my "big city" fix by going to Dubai in the neighboring country of the United Arab Emirates.

I love exploring major cities just as much as remote places in the middle of nowhere.  Lucky for me, Dubai is an extremely interesting city with a lot of cultural mixing and lots to do.  I'm not a big fan of having an exact plan or itinerary, but i still like to adhere to some structure.  As far as things to do, I must play a round of golf, eat lots of food I've never had or heard of, see different architecture and buildings, and just explore and take pictures.  Although a bit expensive, I have found a way to do all of these things for a couple hundred dollars.

I found a bus route run by Omani National Transport that runs to Dubai and takes only 5-6 hours and costs $24 round trip.  I would then arrive at one of Dubai's many metro stations which I can take to get near my hostel - the Sheikh Hamdan Colony - which is $29 for a night and only a couple kilometers from the middle of the city.  After that I will randomly explore the general area to get a feel for the place.  Later in the evening I will go to the observation deck at the top of Burj Khalifa which is the tallest building in the world and costs $34 (well worth the cost if you love heights).  After that I will find something to eat and get some rest.

The next day I will check out of my hostel (only staying one night because of how expensive Dubai is) and get some breakfast.  After that I will play 18 holes at the Majlis Course which is part of Emirates Golf Club Dubai, and costs $95 (not bad for a world class championship golf course, and you also have to factor in golf club rental which usually isn't expensive). Lastly, before I catch my return bus at 11pm, I will explore Bastakia (Old Dubai) because I love history and old places.  After these expenses plus food, transportation, etc. I will be looking at no more than $250 to $300 for this adventure. I can't wait!!

Tentative Schedule
   Sunday
       6- Depart Ruwi bus station for Dubai
       12- Arrive in Dubai and get some food
       14- Check into hostel and explore surrounding area
       16- Explore some of the luxury malls and "downtown" Dubai, plus food
       20- Burj Khalifa observation deck (cheaper rate after 1930, or 7:30pm)
       22- Eat more food and get some rest

   Monday
       7- Check out of hostel and get breakfast
       9- Tee off at Majlis golf course for 18 holes
       15- Eat and go back to hostel to shower and change
       16- Explore Old Dubai
       19- Last minute eating and exploring
       21- Get ready to leave for bus station (you can never be too early to catch your ride home)
       23- Depart Dubai for Muscat

Happy Travels
     

No comments:

Post a Comment