Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Living like a local

When studying in Prague I would like to attend activities in the community. I am planning on doing this by attending local festivals, frequently visiting local restaurants and possibly some volunteer work. Doing these activities are important to my study because I will see this culture is like. If I don't immerse my self in the local community I wouldn't be taking full advantage of the opportunity I have. As of right now I could not even guess what local campus life would be like. I don't know how campus life there and here are different or similar. I also do not want to have a preconceived notion of life there will be like but rather an open approach to it. Throughout my experience abroad I do hope to meet locals and friendships that will last a lifetime. Going through CEA I hope some excursions will incorporate locals in some way. The language barrier will be problematic in finding local friends unless they speak English. Although I would to know some of the native language communication will prove to be difficult. I believe not being able to speak to locals will not hinder me from learning their day to day routine as I learn better by observation. What I hope to learn from learning their day to day routine is to see a new way of life. Also to be open to other peoples way of life when I return to the U.S. Culture shock will make me grow as a person and I am looking forward to the experiences it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment