Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Culture Shock and Homesickness



Based on past experience, I know that I will most likely experience some homesickness, and definitely some culture shock (and frustration).  Whenever I get stressed here at home, I take a minute to slow down and take inventory of what it is I need to do to get out of being stressed.  Usually, this ends up with me making a checklist of things to do, and I check them off – it usually works.

This can translate to my time abroad, in that I can make a list of things to do to keep me occupied – like a bucket list we discussed in class previously.  I love adventure and don’t necessarily like being tied to an itinerary.  By making a bucket list of things to check off, I will keep my mind and body busy and happy which means a less chance for stress and thinking about home. I think this will help with culture shock as well whenever it stresses me out or makes me frustrated.

However, I know there is no escaping homesickness as I experience whatever degree of culture shock that will hit me.  I have only experienced minor homesickness as a kid going to camp, etc., but I haven’t experienced it while at college so this will probably be a bit difficult to deal with.  This is where my friend Skype will come into handy.  My girlfriend studied abroad in Australia last semester, and we used Skype very often to stay in touch.  It really helped me, but it helped her out a lot as she was able to keep in touch with friends and family whenever she got homesick.  So I know this tactic will help me out just as much as it helped her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment