Monday, April 6, 2015

Nashville different from Tokyo?!?! Oh Joy!!!

I love living in the city, there is always something to do and new people to meet everyday. Nashville is my home and is one of the biggest cities in Tennessee! It's definitely a big city when compared to the cozy small city of Maryville, which I love waking up to see the mountains everyday. I am super excited to prepare myself to move to another city in just a few months, but now I just need to prepare myself for this leap across the world. Soon I'll be exploring the city of Tokyo, Japan! This is WAY different than the city I'm use to. I love the city and all, but I get lost easily... so I can already feel the confusion. It's one thing to get lost in Nashville, but to be lost in Tokyo where the signs are in a completely different language. OH JOY... this really is a different culture I intend to adventure into.

How should I go about moving from my amazing home in Nashville to the other side of the world and living in Tokyo?
Well, let's see! First, I want to be as positive as possible and understanding, because I know I'm going to get lost time and time again. However, this won't stop me from going out, I could ask a friend for help and even if I don't understand 100% everything they say, at least I will have a foundation on where I'm going.
Next I want to be as open minded as possible and try everything new that the city of Tokyo has to offer me.

I want to experience life outside of my box for the year I will be abroad. By this I mean, trying karaoke with friends (even if I can't sing in Japanese), going to church and understanding a different belief, and even go to events that I might not go to if it was Nashville.

I'm completely aware of the fact that I won't understand everything the people there are saying to me, but that won't get me down. Practice makes perfect, you know! I might get frustrated in the beginning of my year abroad, but by the end I hope to improve my speaking and listening skills. Of course that's one of my main reasons to go, IMPROVE at Japanese.

By staying open minded I hope to learn about the world from the perspective of a whole new culture! If I went to Japan already knowing everything there is to know about the county, then what could I possibly gain from going?

I know there will be many differences between Nashville and Tokyo, but there are also similarities. The different language will make it a challenge to adjust to, but I like a challenge. I know Japanese people, just like people in Nashville, are always happy to meet someone for a different  country. I'm not expecting everyone to run up to me and be friends, but I know there is a group of people that I will just click with and be good friends with. Though, this could make me miss my home some days, but that's part of being open minded. I'm only there for a SHORT time! I know one year= short time?? For me that's short when I could stay for ten if I had the chance.

When I start missing home, I need to stop and look around at the lifetime opportunity I have to study abroad. My friends there will be like my family and help me get through the sad days.

I'm prepared for there to be things that I don't like in Japan, but on the bright side there will be things that I LOVE there too. Why would a few sad days make me want to take the next flight phone?! It just doesn't add up in my mind!

If I stay positive and look at every day as a new adventure I'm sure I discover all sorts of things I didn't even know I like or loved. Who knows what the next day holds in store for me?

I know there are more challenges than just that of my language skills and missing my family, but I believe my positive outlook on life and an open mind will prepare me for this next step in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment