Wednesday, April 29, 2015

While studying abroad there will be a few academic differences compared to Maryville College. I am looking forward to encountering these differences because the will help me become a well rounded student. The work is different because in the States there is a lot of opinion based work such as reflections, thoughts and ideas. Compared to Czech Republic where work is more black or white. This would cater to me better because I like answers that are either right or wrong. The class work mainly depends on the professor both in Maryville College and in the Czech Republic. The test aren't worth as much points in the Czech Republic. Since I am I good test taker this difference is a bit concerning. I am curious to see how my instructor divides points up. Periodic homework exams and a final will be given. Other than that the workload is mostly the same. Attendance is mandatory in the Czech republic and class sizes are about 15. The classroom culture is more lecture based in the Czech Republic and there is a lot of respect for the professor. I do not like lecture based classes mainly because I have short attention span. I would rather have tangible notes to read and to study from also from there I can determine what is important content. One aspect that is very different is students have to stand up while the instructor walks in the allows the students to sit down. Students are expected to work hard and be on task at all times.


Credits are evaluated differently but can be translated easily. The class I am taking in Czech Republic is for 3 credit hours in the US but is just a little over 40 contact hours in Czech. My economics class will be meeting every Tuesday and Thursday at 1400-17:10 (2-5:10). Grading systems are similar to the United States but it is up to the host institution to determine how the grade is evaluated. Here3 is how the grades are translated A = 4.0 A- = 3.67 B+ = 3.33 B = 3.0B- = 2.6 C+ = 2.33C = 2.0C- = 1.67 D+ = 1.33D = 1.0 F = 0The host institution provides academic support especially since students will be studying in a different country. In the United States only 12 credits hours are required to be considered a full time student. The Czech republic it would be 60 ECTS per academic year. To put this into perspective a bachelor degree requires 240 ECTS. There are many differences between the two learning environments but most things translate easily.




http://www.studyineurope.eu/ects-system
http://www.ceastudyabroad.com/programs/czech_republic/prague/10011/partner_institution_description.html

No comments:

Post a Comment