Monday, April 2, 2018

Blog 3: Academic Differences

Acadmic Differences: I have no idea how classes individually operate, as I haven't seen any syllabi. I did do some research on academic culture in general in Argentina, and it seems that they take a more hands-on approach to education, so class attendence is required more often than not. More like MC than UT or larger American universities. Other than that, I couldn't find much else.
Credits: Courses have hours attached to them, which vary from 45 to as high as 330. Courses apparently do not transfer directly, but you can match equivalent courses and show competancy. Emphasis is given more to understanding the course material than the grade.  I can't find out how often classes meet, as the course information just gives information about the course and who is teaching it. The workload seems a bit more, with more technical classes and less general education. 5-6 courses a semester, some of which run year-round.
Grades: Instead of letter grades, a number is given between 1-10. A number <4 is failing, with a number >7 being an 8. 8-9 and 10 are both considered like an A, let 10 is the best, though rare. Minimum GPA is between 6 and 7.
Support: Unknown, but they do require an orientation coming in.
Full-time: At MC, you need to have 12ch to be full time. At UCC, I do not know. It seems you need to take >= 4 courses, but I don't know for certain. I'm pretty sure it's 4 courses to meet the minimum requirement in both places, but it might be 5.

Things I'm not sure about:
How hours work and what the minimum number is for full-time.
Academic support services
Course composition (meeting times, F/S ratio)

No comments:

Post a Comment