Sunday, April 22, 2018

Living Like a Local & Getting Involved: Costa Rica

Integrating in a New Culture: Costa Rica

What does it mean to "live like a local"?

Living like a local is to fully immerse into the common daily practices that native citizens partake in. Personally, I would like to find local shops to do my shopping at. I also believe that exploring places that aren't huge tourist attractions but are enjoyed by the community would be a great way to identify the interests of Costa Rican locals. Finally, I would like to learn local phrases and practice them daily.

Getting Involved & Making New Friends

As far as getting involved, I plan on taking yoga classes and possibly a dance class. This will help me relax as well as introduce myself to people in the community. Additionally, I would like to find a coffee shop in San Jose to go to regularly in order to meet locals and make new friends. 

Personal Gains

Hopefully this approach will allow me to get out of my comfort zone in a positive way and force me to interact with members of this society. I expect that by partaking in activities that I enjoy at home in a new country will ease my way into adjusting and hopefully limit any culture shock that may arise. This will also be a great way for me to find a common ground with individuals in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment