Monday, April 30, 2018

Blog 4

I do not think it will be very difficult to transfer into the Costa Rican way of life.  However, I do know there will be changes and there will also be things that happen that I do not account for.  While this is intimidating and difficult to address I also think it is part of the experience so I will embrace those challenges as they come.  I think that some things I will need to adjust to will be transportation differences, not having access to a personal vehicle in Costa Rica will be a bit of a hindrance, but nothing I cannot adapt to.  I think that the living conditions may be different (internet access, AC etc.) but not knowing what amenities my host family will have makes this difficult to plan for.  I currently spend a lot of my time on campus focusing on my work and will be taking this focus with me as well, while I may not "get involved" with campus activities, this will allow me to have access to amenities I am accustomed to in the U.S.  I am not involved in campus activities and dont have much of a desire to focus a lot of time on it while abroad, my relationship with campus will most likely be strictly educational. 

I feel that living like a local will be my main focus abroad.  I am going abroad to be a tourist, but to explore and dive into the actual culture of Costa Rica.  To do this I plan to hike, explore, do some excursion, rent a motorcycle (if possible), discover art and travel around to local areas that interest me at the time.  Most of my days now are academically focused, so I will most likely use my weekends to do these things.  I think the only thing that can ease any of our transitions into these foreign countries is to go into this with an open mind as well as a plan, but be prepared for those plans to continuously change as more information and experience comes to us.  I look forward to meeting my host family and tailing them for the beginning of my abroad to better learn the ropes and to better understand the cultural norms of Costa Rica.  I am sure I will face many changes and challenges here and I dont expect my integration to go as smooth as it would if I was traveling domestically, but that is again all part of this experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment