Thursday, April 5, 2018

Blog 5: Vocational Goals

     By studying abroad at the University of Roehampton, and specifically taking a psychology class investigating murder, I will be gaining some experience for possibly pursuing a career in the field of Forensic Psychology or Neuropsychology. Even if I do end up going into the field of Neuropsychology, a class like this would still most likely benefit me because of the conversation with various mental disorders that lead people to murder.

     While at Roehampton taking this class, I can definitely start conversations with the professor in charge and depending on the subject matter and what they know, could get some advice to a future career. With grad school, I am looking to get a PhD in either Clinical Neuroscience/Neuropsychology or Clinical Psychology. Roehampton itself has a grad school within it that has a Clinical Neuroscience department, so it might be a good idea to potentially talk to them about further schooling and career/research advice. While I already have an internship potentially lined up here at home for next school year, there would be no harm in getting some advice from them on internships and careers in the field of either Neuropsychology or Forensic Psychology. 

     Because normal school terms are finished for the year, I do not think that there will be many clubs or organizations to take part in while abroad that could get me in with the students that already go to school there. This fact does sadden me slightly because I think it would have been cool to interact more with the student life on campus.

     Regarding skills that I hope to gain while abroad that will help me in my future career, I hope that I'll be more adept at talking to people that I don't know. Specifically I hope that I'll be more comfortable with talking to career professionals and explaining what I want to do in life and how I'm on the path to getting to that point. Of course being comfortable with that type of thing takes time and practice, but with any luck I'll gain some of that experience while abroad at Roehampton.

No comments:

Post a Comment