Thursday, April 5, 2018

Blog 5: A Lit Major in London, an Editor in England

As an English major, studying abroad in England makes a lot of sense. As the home of Chaucer, Shakespeare, Wilde, and countless other authors of merit, England has been the backdrop for much of Western literature's greatest works. Not only am I planning to take a literature course while there, which will give me first-hand experience in reading British lit with British professors (who understand the unique historical and cultural framework of their native literature in a more genuine way than American professors are able to), I am also planning trips to several important literary locations. Canterbury, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Baker Street, and Westminster's Poets' Corner are all destinations on my list, and traveling to each of these places is in itself helpful for my vocational goals; I am taking pains to make sure I visit each of these places in part for their value to me as a student of literature, as a kind of literary field research. Looking towards the future to my own career as an editor/writer, having a firsthand knowledge of England, and London specifically, gives me insight into the realm of British literature and Britain's long literary history. A knowledge of these places will also enable me to help others (including future editing clients) to hone in on descriptions of London's literary culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment