Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Weekend Away While in South Africa

Destination:
 I will be studying in Port Elizabeth, South Africa for 4 weeks.  It is a large city located right on the Indian Ocean.  Once my program is over, I am planning on traveling to Cape Town to do community service with a school. 

While there:
My program has already planned a couple of excursions that I plan on taking full advantage of such as: Tsitsikamma Falls Adventures, Addo Elephant Park, and a Frontier Tour.  I believe I will be given the opportunity to choose 2 excursions.  Aside from those trips, I would love to travel to Johannesburg for a weekend, and spend a couple of days touring the capital. 

Methods of Travel:
South Africa is a developed nation, and has many different systems for getting around.  I know there are buses, trains, and planes for people who do not have vehicle, (like myself) that are easily accessible.  My desired method for traveling would be to take a rail car, which is basically a train.  I have found one which provides a coupe that has a bed and bathroom area within the room that doesn't seem to be too expensive.  My second option is to take a bus.  There are numerous bus lines that provide transportation to and from Johannesburg. Lastly, if all else fails, Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg both have airports, so traveling by plane is an option.  Although I most likely will not be taking a plane from city to city, its nice to know that I have the option. 

Accommodations:
Since Johannesburg is one of the capitals of South Africa, it is a heavily toured area.  This means that there a plenty of places to stay for a weekend.  It is lined with hostels, hotels, bed and breakfasts, and pretty much anything you could think of.  At this point, I'm not exactly sure which I will be choosing to stay in, but whenever I do decide I am sure things will work out.  Right now, I plan on waiting until I am there, and then assessing my funds accordingly. 

Food:
Try everything!  I mean really, when will I ever have the chance to experience South Africa again? Probably never.  And once again, since Johannesburg is a large tourist attraction, the city is populated with food from many different cuisines.  I hope I will be able to eat mostly traditional South African meals, but I understand that fast food will probably be the cheaper option. 

Overall I hope to enjoy every minute of my time abroad.  As of right now, this is all I know.  I am leaving my options open, and will just let my trip take me wherever it may lead.  Safety first of course! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment