Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wanderlust & OTher Adventures: Culture Shock in Finland


So Culture Shock, it plays a huge part in your study abroad experience, especially when you are staying in a new place for a long time, and I've got more than just a few words on the whole thing. The thing is though, I don't wanna bog down you readers on what culture shock is, we all know what it is after all, instead I want to tell you how it is I go about dealing with it.

Firstly, try to find something about the new place you are in and really enjoy and learn more about it! If you find yourself stressed out and feeling like you just hate the whole country then surely if you look at that one specific thing that you really love you should be able to bring yourself out of your funk.

Secondly, bring something that reminds you of home! I've got a few photos that I know I plan on putting on my walls. Bringing something personal and meaningful is important, and sometimes just looking at a photo and remembering that your friends would want you to have fun too is important.

Lastly, don't let your depression cloud your judgment! It might seem like everything is crumbling all around you and all you want to do is go home, but it is not really like that I promise. You might find that something you did out of anger or frustration will come back to haunt you in the end if you are not careful.

Overall, just understand that the feeling will pass. It might seem like your world is crumbling all around you, but you're completely wrong. The world is not going to end just because one day went wrong, you have to be willing to look at the big picture when it comes to culture shock.

As for me? I'll keep moving on. After all, what kind of adventure doesn't have a little problem every now and then?

1 comment: