Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Vocation

Throughout my time at Maryville College, I have changed my mind about what I really want to spend the rest of my doing.  Freshmen year I came in thinking I wanted to do something in the science department, but that quickly changed once I realized I hate chemistry.  After that I struggled in deciding what direction I wanted to go.  I knew I wanted to do something helping or working directly with people.  I thought about psychology, but I later decided on International Studies.  I want to go into law with a focus on human rights and social justice.  I want to be able to help those who are less fortunate, basically and an advocator.

It took me a long time to decide which study abroad program was a great fit for me.  I finally decided on the program in South Africa because it had a focus on Human Rights and Conflict Management.  I think this is a perfect fit for me.  I will learn about the struggles in South Africa, and then hopefully apply those skills in my future career.  I understand that the issues abroad may not be the same type of issues I will be focusing on here, but I do believe the skills will transfer and be helpful to me as a lawyer.

While studying abroad, I will also do some volunteer work.  I do not think I will have time for an internship, but community service is very similar.  I believe I will be working at a local orphanage in Port Elizabeth.  I think this experience will be humbling, and give me a direct insight into the societal problems faced by people in South Africa. 

With that being said, I think my trip will give me some great hands on experience.  I am incredibly excited and can't wait to embark on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment