Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Experiencing Culture Shock in South Africa

by Taylor Smith

When choose to study abroad in South Africa, I really did not take into consideration the negative effects of experiencing a culture so different from what I am used too.  I choose it because I have a strong desire for adventure, and well what country could be more adventurous?  Anyways,  I have began preparing myself for the new exciting encounters that I have in store, but before today I hadn't really planned for the downside of culture shock.  I have however spoke with a couple of people who have traveled/lived in South Africa, and they have given me so great advice. 

My first plan is to be open to the changes that will come my way.  I have realized that just because something is different than what I am used to doesn't mean that it is bad.  In fact, I have experienced a lot of good from trying things out side of my comfort zone.  Although I consider myself to be a very scheduled person, I am planning on forcing myself to roll with the punches.  I believe when in a situation like studying abroad, it is best to be flexible because planning every minute detail could potentially cause me to miss out on an amazing opportunity. 

Ways to cope:
Personally, I am very close with my family, so not being able to speak or see them often is going to be my biggest hurdle.  In order to deal with the homesickness, I am taking tons of photos along on my trip.  I will probably only place a few in my room, but I want to be able to have something more elaborate to turn to.  Along with that I am going to severely limit my amount of phone calls to home.  As of right now I plan to use the internet as my means of communication with home.  I haven't decided if I will use Facebook's instant message, Skype, or just email yet.  More than likely it will be a combination of all three. 

Secondly, I love to eat, so not eating is probably not going to be a problem for me especially since I believe trying the native cuisine is one of the best methods of experiencing a new culture.  However,  I do understand that I may not particularly enjoy the food, therefore I am packing a jar of peanut butter to help transition if I cannot find anything else.  Plus I just really love peanut butter! 

All in all I think I will be okay once I arrive and settle in.  I'm sure I will encounter problems, but what great adventure doesn't? 

Here's to hoping I can roll with the punches!
Taylor Smith

1 comment:

  1. Having a good attitude about dealing with differences does make a difference. You may want to also think about some specific strategies that you use here to deal with stress.

    Useful book: http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Shock-South-Africa-Etiquette/dp/B00DPO5ZY4

    Good expat resource: http://www.expatarrivals.com/south-africa/culture-shock-in-south-africa

    Look at module 1.7 at http://www2.pacific.edu/sis/culture/index.htm This is a great resource for preparing to deal with a different culture

    ReplyDelete