Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Meandering Paths: Coping with Culture Shock in Germany


Adjusting to a new culture is difficult, even for the most flexible of people. Even with my tolerance of ambiguity in general, I wonder what exactly Heidelberg will be like once I find my way there. Different would probably be the most accurate description, but that doesn't quite capture the emotions associated with it. What if I'm so nervous I stop eating? What if I don't make any friends?

The cure to all anxiety, I think, is an overdoes of optimism. So what if I stop eating? I'll lose weight! No friends? Time for a solo-adventure! But, seriously. I don't think that any amount of anxiety is a reason to avoid enjoying yourself while abroad. It's new and it's frightening, yes, but it's only as debilitating as you allow it to be. But what do you to prevent feeling alone in this great big world?

Find comfort, of course.

Coping is so easy, readers. Those of you who think that the world is falling down around you over one little mistake have to learn that life goes on. Still, there are several ways to find comfort quickly and easily abroad. Here are just a few:

1.) Bring photographs of home. I collect photostrips. Yes, those little things created in photobooths. Old fashioned, yes, but they're a great reminder of how much fun you have with friends and family. More than that, they're easy to preserve and pack: laminate them and toss them in with the rest. Whenever you're feeling lonely, grab a picture and remind yourself those people are back home supporting you.

2.) Bring something that comforts you. I have a blanket that's faux fur that I ADORE. It's warm and it makes me feel at home. I can cuddle up with it on the plane and in Germany, so I'll always have a little part of home with me.

3.) Take a shower and calm down. Sometimes a shower is all we need to relax. Climb into the shower, turn the water as hot as you can stand, and calm down. Cry if you need to. Just give yourself five or ten minutes to have a moment to yourself.

4.) Give yourself ten seconds. In Lost, the reoccurring saying about fear is this, "Ten seconds, and I'm done." Give yourself ten minutes to freak out and break down. Count it down out loud. At zero, let it go and move on. It sounds ridiculous, but it really IS that easy.

5.) Find a comfort food. There's no doubt that the food in your new country will different than that from home. That doesn't matter, really. Find something you really, really, really, really like and use it remind yourself what you like about the country. Look for the silver linings, readers. It helps.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Felicity

1 comment:

  1. Good tips and strategies! There are lots of cool blogs written by students who outline differences that are both fun and challenging to explore. Check out this one for example: http://www.studyabroadspotlight.com/blog/culture-shock-germany/#sthash.7EPezJmd.dpbs

    ReplyDelete