Thursday, April 24, 2014

An American in England

Traveling to faraway places can be both exciting and nerve wracking. When it comes to studying abroad in another country by yourself, though, it adds another layer of both of those things. It is definitely very exciting to think that I will be able to go to England and spend a substantial amount of time there.  A vacation is just long enough to go to a place and hopefully fit in all of the touristy sites you hope to see, take tons of pictures, and then come home exhausted. But an entire semester allows time to actually meet people and see what everyday life is like in another culture. There will be time to adjust, during which I imagine I probably will feel like a bit of a tourist taking an obnoxious amount of pictures and marveling at cars with their drivers seats on the right hand side. That will die down, though, and once I get into a routine, I’ll just be going about my daily life, except I’ll be in Worcester experiencing and coming to understand British culture.
Spending five months in another country and culture provides a unique opportunity to actually become integrated. I am very excited to experience this firsthand. I think that probably the best way to go about this sort of thing is with some background knowledge, an open mind, and an understanding that it will be different from what you expect, but that is exciting! I hope to transition into life in England and then return in the spring with an understanding of what British culture is.
I consider myself a pretty easy going person, which I think will benefit me in that respect. On the other hand, I can be a bit shy at times when meeting new people. I could see that being a challenge, particularly in such an unfamiliar environment. However, I am so excited to participate and learn that I am confident that I will be able to overcome my shyness. After all, just as I am learning to communicate with new people from a new culture, they will be, too. There may be some uneasiness at first, but it’d be strange if there weren't. I don’t think that is something to feel overly intimidated by or nervous about – it is normal, and it should pass.  

I know there are certain stereotypes attached to culture. Most of these seem unfair, and I hope to prove the negative ones about America wrong. I think it’s best to be honest – yes, I was born and raised in the south eastern US. This could, depending on how one behaves while abroad, either affirm or change others’ ideas about Americans. In willingly integrating myself into this new culture – and enjoying it, as I imagine I certainly will – I hope that will show that I’m not just some loudmouth American, or whatever other negativity could potentially lurk behind the term to those who have only heard bad things. All in all, though, I hope that my time in Worcester allows me the chance to truly experience British culture and to lose any negative stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment