Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Intercultural Competency - Australia/NZ

Augusta Phillips

What is one thing you will do to ease your transition into a new culture, and deal with the adjustments you will face?

So when I get nervous or scared about being in a new place, I experience nausea. It is super embarrassing, and strange I know, but that is just the first thing my fear turns into. Having huge changes in my daily routine freaks me out, so I know when I go abroad I am going to have to calm this strange reaction to fear and new routines. I plan on handling this new transition with friendships, work, medicine, and looking at the bigger picture. I hope to make great friends while studying and traveling from both countries. Being around people I will get to know, and being comfortable around them, will make my adjustment so much easier. Talking to people and really having deep conversations calms me down. It makes me feel like I am back at home having tea and talking for hours with my mom. I know if I throw myself in my work, I will not be as concerned with the new routine. The first few days will be hard on me. Adjusting to everything, getting used to the time change, meeting people, finding out how things work, and learn the basics will be new and nauseating to me. But after a few days when I have gotten used to the people and the work, I will be perfectly okay. I know the work I will be doing will be everything I have waited for. Getting lost in studies and information will help me adjust. Another thing to help will be the anti nausea medicine I take. I don't know if it helps me physically or mentally, but it helps! So I will have that as a safety blanket for the first few difficult days. I will probably bring a blanket from home to also help with everything. On days when it get bad all I have to do is look at the bigger picture. One day I will show pictures and tell stories to my children and grandchildren. I will have experience for my job. And I will know what is like to immerse myself in a whole new world. It will be an experience of a lifetime. So whatever I find helps with homesickness and the transition, I will do. Traveling has always been a dream of mine, and know I can live it. I also won't have access to phone or internet, so I will have to adjust to not talking to friends or family the whole time I am there. But I think that will help me focus on school and the new culture. It will take me away from constantly using it like I do now. If I need someone to talk to about anything, there are counselors there. I will have help every second of the way. 

1 comment:

  1. Good strategies. Make sure you determine if there are regulations about taking in particular types of medications. Check out this link about cultural differences in Australia too: http://www.expatarrivals.com/australia/culture-shock-in-australia

    ReplyDelete