Wednesday, April 2, 2014

From Maryville College Scots to Scotland Scots: Living like a local...

Sooooooo.....Let's begin with a story about me growing up on a farm.
                                                      

Ever since I saw a picture of this guy (not him in particular) I wanted a "Scottish Highland" cow, calf, bull, pretty much my own herd.  I was probably around five when I presented the very logical and persuasive argument of "But, but, they're so cute and furry!" to my father who still refused to satisfy my wish.  I even tried to convince him it would be beneficial to our dairy farm.  Now for those who don't know, there are six types of dairy: Ayrshire, Holstein, Brown Swiss, Jersey, Guernsey and the Milking Short Horn.  (We had all but the latter)  So as you can see, he didn't buy it.  Sad to say, but to this day it is still a personal goal to get up close and personal with these furry little come-over haired creatures!  Why is this relevant?  It's not, I just wanted to share the breeds of cows, information that you will use daily...just kidding, I promise it relates to this topic!

While I do want to partake in the food and customs side of the culture, I also want to feed my curiosity of farming traditions in other parts of the world.  I have been in love with this animal for so long and became interested in why it is native to that area.  How is it built for the terrain, weather, etc. for that area?  I hope that by staying out of my provided room and exploring the local towns and countryside, I may just meet a jolly farmer that is willing to let me ask a million questions and take millions of pictures of his farm and family.  Or, perhaps by chance, I may just strike up a conversation with a fellow student who grew up on a farm or knows someone who did and wouldn't mind me wandering around.  While I would like to see more popular sites, I would rather experience the daily life of the people and country around me.  It carries powerful memories to discover something you haven't seen on a brochure or in movies and books.  By talking, interacting and being open minded, who knows what I will get to discover while I'm over there.

The University is a community in itself comprised of many different types of people from many different areas.  I want to talk to everyone and see what their favorite sight is or thing to do, then beg them to be a partner in crime and take me or tell me how to get there.  Just like anywhere else, the people who grew up in an area knows its history, folklore, ultimately, and its life better than any brochure.  For example, as well as another useless fact, I grew up in a small town called "White Pigeon".  How many people outside of our community would know that it got its name from our town hero: Chief Wahbememe who warned the white settlers of an attack.  Legend is he ran all the way from the tribal meeting in Detroit to the end of MI (before you get to IN), non-stop, to warn them then collapsed and died from exhaustion.  In honor, we named the town after him:  "Wahbememe" or "White Pigeon".  My guess is no one and if I am wrong, my jaw will drop in disbelief.  Point is, nothing will be able to share the history and culture of an area than its inhabitants.

Another plan I have, since I'm of age, is to sit in the local bars and listen to the stories and laughter.   Drinking is part of their culture as I understand it and many go to just socialize and eat.  I know this sounds weird but I think it will be a gathering spot for locals and I plan to become a semi-familiar face (mind you, I will not always be drinking....I pretty sure I would die considering I'm only an occasional social drinker)  If I am wrong, then I will discover where the spot is and make myself part of it. I just want to become part of the community and see Scotland through the eyes of the residents.

My major encourages you to partake and creates a desire to explore your surroundings.  P.S. I'm a visual arts major.  "Psychology of Art with A Tartan Twist" says all in its name alone.  So does my other class "Photographing the Urban".  I am so blessed to have gotten both of these courses that will allow me to dive in head first and get involved.  I've got to be honest, writing these blogs is making the anticipation so INTENSE!!!!!!

In the words of bugs bunny..."That's all folks."

Until next time,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment