Monday, April 21, 2014

Blog # 6: Intercultural Competency in Australia

Maddy Little

Culture shock and homesickness is to be expected, no matter where I would be going. I think it won't be so bad since I'm only going to Australia. I mean, I know it'll be different, but it won't be all that different. The place is a giant melting pot, much like America is. And I've been eager to leave the nest as soon as possible. I caught the travel bug. I'm more excited to get out of here than I am nervous or scared of leaving home. I think if I did somehow get homesick or found myself facing a serious case of culture shock, I'd handle it the best way I can, which is a healthy way. I exercise. I run to keep from stressing out too much. The solid ground hitting my feet is always the same solid ground, no matter where I am. There is always a trail to run on, whether it be the college woods in Maryville College, or the sandy beaches in Sydney, Australia. Instead of overeating, or not eating, or crying, or stressing, or getting depressed, I run. It clears my mind, breathing in the fresh air and taking in the atmosphere around me. It helps my keep an open mind and not over analyze things. And it keeps me hungry for more...food that it. Foodie for life! If everything changes for me when I go abroad, I'll at least have my daily run (or at least weekly).

1 comment:

  1. Here is a good book on learning about Australian Culture and adjusting to it: http://www.amazon.com/CultureShock-Australia-Survival-Customs-Etiquette/dp/0761454721 There are lots of e-resources too: http://www.expatarrivals.com/australia/culture-shock-in-australia

    ReplyDelete