Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Weekend Away: Paros, Greece

I want to get away for the weekend and I was thinking of a small island to just relax and not have to work. Paros, an island off of Greece at the heart of the Cycladic islands, is absolutely breathtaking with wonderful beaches and a relaxing atmosphere. It is an island filled with villages with an air of traditional character, including Venetian influences and distinctive medieval character. It sounds like a wonderful place, and my family strongly recommend I go visit Paros.

Ideal options for accommodation

     The ideal place to stay for a weekend is the Stelia Mare Boutique Hotel. It is close to the beach with an incredible view. It is located in a major city in Paros with easy transportation and has amazing reviews.

 

Transportation (getting there and getting around)
         There are local buses all around the island and easily accessible. Getting there have two options: by land or by sea. We can fly into the Paros airport and take a taxi or arrange for a hotel pick up by calling the hotel. The taxi will most likely cost very little. There are no buses from the airport to the hotel.

Priorities (places to visit, activities to do)
            There are a number of activities that are offered in Paros that are exciting and completely new to most people. They have incredible beaches and offer every kind of water sport available. There is also unique and different places to hike such as Byzantine Léfkes-Pródromos trail, and tour the entire island by canoeing/kayaking. There is also scuba diving, biking, and island hopping.

Food
         There are a variety of different cuisines offered on the island. There are Italian, Greek, Thai, Mediterranean, Vegetarian and small little cafes all over the island.

Tentative itinerary

            I do not have an exact plan for a day-to-day trip. I know I will want to go to the beach every day, a different one every day. I will also want to participate in some water sport activities which can be very exciting and fun. I will also want to visit a museum while I am there; there are many museums in Paros that will be very educational and help further my knowledge of the history and art of Greece. There is also a retreat and mediation center where daily activities, seminars or long stay Work and Study programs happen. There is also a great deal of nightlife, which can be fun if you are safe and watchful of your surroundings. I know I am thinking of leaving Thursday night from the mainland and leaving Sunday night from the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment