Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Blog 4: Living Like a Local in South Africa

I have definitely thought about how excited I am and all of the amazing places I hope to visit, but I actually haven't given much thought into anything else.  I guess I was kind of expecting that stuff to just fall into place once I arrive.  I know that sounds a little silly, but its true.  I imagine I will spend my time a lot like I do now.  Go to class.  Do homework.  Hangout with friends. Etc... 

I actually find the whole living like a local part to be quite intimidating.  Does this mean I will have a whole new life while abroad?  Am I going to be lonely?  Will things feel natural?  Those are just a few questions that pop into my head when thinking about living like a local.  I think it is going to be tough for me to completely experience life in South Africa mainly because I will only be there for a short 6 weeks.  Although I hope during my stay, I experience as much as one can. 

So far my plan is to find somewhere I can do volunteer work.  I would love to be able to work with local people through community service.  I am a Bonner Scholar so volunteering is like second nature to me.  In fact, it has became a part of who I am.  I love doing it.  I no longer think of it as work or something that is morally right.  It actually is something I do for myself.  In my opinion community service is the easiest/quickest way to immerse myself into a new way of life. 

I also hope to be an active student on campus.  I want to attend as many events as possible.  I think that will be a great way to meet new people, local and other international students like myself.  I'm not exactly sure if I will be able to participate as much as I would like since I am only going to be there for 6 weeks, but I intend to give it my very best shot.  I guess all I can do is wait and hope for the best at this point.  Let the waiting game begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment