Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Blog # 4: Getting Involved and Living Like a Local - Australia



Getting involved in a new community is a great way to make the most of your experience abroad and to meet new people. To me, getting involved in my new community will include volunteering. As I've mentioned in most of my blogs, giving back to the community has been engrained in me since I was a little girl. I want to go help out at an animal shelter or clean the beaches of Sydney, anything that I can do to make a difference in the community. Health is also a huge part of my daily routine. I like having access to a great workout facility or good trails to run. I like the gym atmosphere because the people are friendly and encouraging and it is a great way to meet people with a common interest. I plan on find a tennis club or team to join to keep me active as well. Obviously, I will meet other international students and I will have a few roommates and I will find friends in my classes too. I don't think meeting people and making friends will be too hard for me. Hopefully there will be a bunch of exciting events going on both on campus and in the city while I am there! I'd like to go to a concert or some kind of festival and experience all that I can of Australia.

I plan on making several weekend road trips around Australia to see as much as I can. I already know that I'll go to the Great Barrier Reef and to Melbourne and to Canberra. I want to visit Tasmania if at all possible. Hopefully I will get a group of pals to make the trips with so that I don't wind up getting lost in Australia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment