Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Meandering Paths: Vocation


My future career is something that I hold very dear to my heart. Since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a teacher: something to do with English, or just language in general. I found my calling in TESL, which, obviously, demands that you command more than one language. I am aware that the second language I chose, German, isn't as predominant in the school systems here as other languages, but it's no big problem in the long run. At the very least, I can sympathize with my students. Learning another language isn't easy, after all.

The entirety of my trip to Heidelberg sets me  up for my career. I will be completing minor, and I will have the valuable chance to see how European schools function. Learning a variety of teaching styles is necessary to becoming a good teacher, and I believe my classes in Heidelberg will offer a great amount of insight. While in my language classes, I fully intend to take notes on what strategies seem effective or unique so that I can utilize them later in the classroom.

If being teacher doesn't work out--though I swear to God it will--, being able to command a second language will be beneficial in any job position. Continually practicing German and learning new words will prepare me for any language based job: such as translator or interpreter.

My key strategy will be to observe. The more you know, the better prepared you are for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment