Monday, November 23, 2015

Academic Differences in the UK

While there are many aspects of the education that are similar in the UK to the United States, there are also many prominent differences.  Something you might notice right away at school in United Kingdom is the different vocabulary -- classes are modules, to study is to revise, your major is your course, and college is university.  So, to "revise for my exams in my modules for my course at university" is to "study for my tests in my classes for my major at college".
Another big difference that will take some adjustment is that there will probably be less class time and more time expected out of class.  In schools here, the general expectation is that you will attend lecture usually 2-3 times a week, and complete course readings and assignments outside of class, in addition to perhaps some papers, lab reports, projects, etc.  It seems that in UK, lectures for modules may be as few as once a week and may not have time for discussion/questions.  This will require even more reading, dedication, and self-motivation that is generally required here in the US, and is something I will personally need to make sure I keep up with.
A third aspect of education in the UK that differs from the in the US is the grading system.  In the UK, you may be given one large assignment, like a test or a paper, that composes 100% of your grade.  You do not receive participation grades and may not have smaller assignments throughout the semester.
The length of terms may vary as well -- schools might use semesters, quarters, trimesters, or even year long classes (like the one I will be attending).
Credits are called ECTs, and full year students at my university generally take 120 ECTs.  Because I am only there for half the year, I will need to take 60.  Exchange students are to list 6 modules we would like to take, and 6 back up modules.  For transferring credits to Maryville, it will depend what the class the modules transfers for.  Since I will be taking mostly psychology courses, many of the classes should transfer as the 3 credit psych class that it is replacing.
Grades in the UK are similar to in the US in that they are percentage based, but there is a different perspective on what counts as "average" and what is considered good or excellent.  For example, an A ranges from 100-70%, with 70% being an A-.  Some sources are even saying as low as a 64-65% would be an A-, with the lower grades being pushed back accordingly. C's go as low as 50%, with that being a C-, or even (on some other sources) a 42%.  I will have to either research it more here or ask when I get there to determine my school's exact policy.
I have not found an explicit academic support system on the university website.  I have, however, found a page listing all the support departments so perhaps their version of academic support is nestled in one of those departments.  There is a student support and guidance office, as well as a "Learning and Information Service", which seems to be their library support.

No comments:

Post a Comment