Monday, November 23, 2015

Academic differences

The grading system in Argentina is different from America in that it is based on a scale of 0-10, with a range of numbers equalling the letter grades used on the American scale. In comparison, here are the numbers and their letter equivalents:
ScaleGrade DescriptionU.S. Grade Equiv.
10Sobresaliente (Outstanding)A
8-9Distinguido (Distinguished)A
6-7Bueno (Good)B
4-5Aprobado (Pass)C
0-3Insuficiente/Reprobado (Insufficient/Fail)F
This graph was taken from: http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp
As far as a comparison in course work, colleges in Argentina are quite different than those in America. Classes in Argentina are typically a lecture style with one final project or exam counting for the entire grade in the class. That is quite different than what I am accustomed to, which is lecture, group work, and multiple small assignments and exams making up my overall grade. In the Argentine classroom, a student starts at 0 with 0 knowledge of the subject of the class and works his or her way up to typically a 4-5 or a 6-7 through demonstrating a progressively growing knowledge. Rarely is a 10 given. 

As far as transferring my credits when I return, it is important to talk to an advisor before choosing classes in order to ensure that course descriptions are similar enough to transfer for similar classes, if not the same. I will take a list of classes to my advisor next week (she did not have time this week and we will discuss the classes that I need to take for my major and what will account for what.

At MC, a full time credit load is between 12 and 18 hours. At UBP, a student typically has classes between 20-30 hours per week and enrolls in 4-6 classes per semester. Universities in Argentina range in the way that their semester flows and how classes go. It is normal for classes to be large, as most of the colleges and universities are very large. It is known (fun fact) as one of the best higher education systems in all of South America. After learning all this about Argentina, I would be lying if I didn't say I am a little nervous about having a big test at the end of the class that determines my entire grade. However, I am up for the challenge. I will make sure I buy a notebook there and take good notes for all my classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment