Monday, November 9, 2015

Intercultural Competency

Based on my experiences with culture shock and homesickness abroad in the past, I realize that there are two things that are personally the most helpful in this situation. First of all, making friends. I am an extrovert and thrive off of spending time with people. Because of this, in any setting I can become melancholy when spending too much time alone. For this reason I am going to make a significant effort to make friends and spend time with the other local and international students regularly. I hope to share life with my peers and invest in their lives as they invest in mine.

Secondly, I need to stay busy. I love to be busy and am always bouncing from one thing to the next. If there is ever a rare occasion that I don't have something to do I remedy that very quickly. I will apply this knowledge of myself while I am in China and remember to keep busy and make the most of my time there. I think that if I keep a good perspective and open mind I will successfully combat an overwhelming waves of culture shock. Reminding myself that I want to get the most that I possibly can out of my short time there will help me to reevaluate any frustration that I may have with differences and distance from home. Additionally, it will be important to remember how quickly a semester passes and what a short time that I am really there for. When I realize the briefness of my time in the grand scheme of things, it is easier to completely indulge in my present experiences without being tempted to miss my life back home. I will have plenty of time to return to normal life later.

No comments:

Post a Comment