Monday, November 9, 2015

Intercultural Competency

Whenever I decided to come to Maryville College, I had to keep some things in mind. I knew that the distance would be difficult for me since I had never been more than an hour from most of my family. I am now three and a half hours away from my family by drive and even if I wanted to go back every weekend, that would be a waste of gas and it would tire me after a while. I am glad that I get to have that ability, but when I go abroad, it won't be that easy. My journey thus far has been a steady movement away from where I am comfortable and this will be no different.

I believe that once I get over the initial jetlag, I will be doing my best to make friends even if I have to change my method. I am aware that most British people do not talk about some topics that we see as normal conversation topics, so I will need to be careful about what I try to use as conversation. I don't want to make people uncomfortable after all but I will mostly learn this from trial and error. In addition I will regularly talk to my family so that I have a solid support.

No comments:

Post a Comment